Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Full of nostalgia: Books from our past

Not three hours ago I was talking with my lovely coworker about books that we read in our childhood, and then have gone back to as adults. Not all of them hold up to our rigorous, intelligent adult minds - those minds that have gone through various levels of education, that have been inflated from all of the reading we've been doing from our very earliest years - but a note of longing for the first read always enters a nostalgic reread for me. No matter the quality of writing nor the content of the book itself.

So today's post is dedicated to a book I read (and read and read and read) as a teenager: The China Garden by Liz Berry. First published in 1994, I came to it through a dear friend of mind who insisted I read it. At that point in our friendship (I was probably about 14) I was desperately trying to impress said friend and so I read this book in one sitting. I curled up in bed and turned on Loreena McKennitt, and blissed out completely. The Celtic tones of Mummer's Dance perfectly suited this delicious book filled with slow building magic.

When Clare Meredith is dragged to the country by her mother, she's distraught. Leaving behind friends and a fella, not to mention the possibility of working before attending university, Clare is furious at having to stay at Ravensmere, a country estate. Until the mystical English countryside starts to seep into her, along with a magic that has lain dormant for far too long. Clare finds a new freedom, and purpose, within Ravensmere and the handsome Mark who hangs around.

Full of romance and the powerful magic of being almost grown up - and all the future has to hold - The China Garden is bursting with lovely writing, beautiful scenery. I would say this is one of my top five coming of age stories. What better way to read about growing up than in a novel staged at a beautiful English country manor, full of the light touch of magic and nighttime wanderings. Not to mention a sweet little cat in the role of guide, taking Clare through the journey that awaits her at Ravensmere.  I read The China Garden just as I was starting to believe I was an adult, but I still possessed the feeling that fairies and magic are real (something I've never really grown out of, let's be real and honest here...). Even with all of the phenomenal young adult novels about growing up and the trials and tribulations, The China Garden remains at the top of my list for so very many reasons. Sadly, it's out of print now, but easily attainable from biblio.com here or from your local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment